ESSA Standards & Compliance Online Course
ESSA's Standards & Compliance online course has been developed for AEPs to understand their minimum requirements for providing services within the various compensable schemes in Australia. It also includes principles of best practice for the delivery of exercise physiology services.
The purpose of the course is to help AEPs understand the rules set by regulatory bodies. These are not ESSA’s rules and therefore it is important that AEPs are able to locate this information as it does change periodically.
By the end of the course learners will be able to:
- Understand the compensable services an AEP can provide;
- Understand the requirements of the relevant compensable schemes;
- Identify principles of a best practice exercise physiology service; and
- Apply the principles of best practice services to clients.
The course includes 6 learning modules, 1 reference guide, 1 assessment and an evaluation – 9 items in total.
The learning modules include:
- Foundations of Best Practice
- EP services for Medicare
- EP services for Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA)
- EP services for Private Health Insurers (PHI)
- EP services for Workers Compensation and Motor Accident Insurance
- EP services for National Disability Insurance Scheme (NDIS)
Throughout each module, there will be various activities that aim to help learners engage with and master the content. To complete the course and pass the assessment, learners are required to visit external websites and read the relevant sections that set out the rules for the delivery of compensable health services.
- The assessment consists of 30 questions including multiple choice and true or false.
- The pass rate is 80% and a maximum of 3 attempts are allowed.
How long will the course take?
Who needs to do this course?
- The first module is the longest and is expected to take approximately 1 hour and the remaining modules may take approximately 45 minutes. Total time: ~5 hours.
What is needed to get started?
- All AEPs accredited from 1st January 2020 will be required to successfully complete the ESSA Standards & Compliance online course within 3 months of their accreditation date.
- All AEPs accredited (and reinstated) between 17th August 2018 and 31st December 2019, that have NOT completed an ESSA Standards & Compliance course, will be required to successfully complete the updated Standards & Compliance online course by 31st March 2020.
- Audio – speakers or headphones.
- Stable internet connection.
- Device – desktop computer/laptop is recommended as learners will need to open multiple tabs.
This professional development is complimentary to all ESSA members and accredited professionals.
A registration fee of $150.00 including GST is payable for registrants who do not hold current ESSA membership or accreditation.
Please see terms & conditions for member type definitions.
Each person completing this professional development must register separately.
: After signing into your ESSA profile, select the pink "Register Myself" button on the right
: Click on "Create a new account" under "Sign In", and follow the prompts
- The material contained in this course is of a general nature only, based on information received from a third party [such as Medicare and DVA] and is current as at December 2019. To the extent that this course has linked to, referred to or republished Third Party material, the information expressed in that material is not produced by ESSA and ESSA does not warrant or endorse its accuracy, nor does it take responsibility for the content of that material.
- The material does not constitute the provision of professional advice by ESSA and ESSA accepts no legal liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of any information in the publication. ESSA recommends that its members seek appropriate independent professional advice prior to relying on or entering into any commitment based on the material published here.
- All accredited persons, regardless of any professional development completed/ attended must refer to their accreditation’s Scope of Practice/Standards, and only treat/practice within the same.
- ESSA confirms that at the date of release, this professional development meets the requirements of the ESSA Continuing Professional Development Points Guidelines. The information contained in this professional development is of a general nature only, and while every effort and care has been taken to ensure that all representations are accurate as at the date of its release, ESSA accepts no legal liability for any loss or damage suffered as a result of any information provided in this professional development.
- ESSA recommends that its members seek appropriate independent professional advice specific to their particular purposes and circumstances (including the provision of medical advice to patients) before relying on it.
- All Professional Development logistics are correct at time of publication. Subject to change at anytime without notice.